17 January 2011

make food, not war



it has now been decided that this blog is actually going to happen.

alas, i have finally figured out how to upload the 600+ pictures from my iphone onto my computer! this is a huge success. now i don't have to keep emailing them individually to myself when i want to post them online or send them to someone... i guess that is actually kind of embarrassing.

this is good, though, because i use my phone to take most of my pictures (i need a new camera?).

happy 25th anniversary of the Martin Luther King holiday, too! one of my favorite MLK quotes, among many many others:

"I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear."

Can this be my motto? I will try.

---

Tomato Vegetable Soup with Tortellini (original recipe from Canadian Living)


1 tbsp. olive oil
5 carrots, diced
1 onion, chopped
2 ribs celery, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp. fresh basil (I only had dried)
4 cups vegetable broth
1 can (28oz.) tomatoes, chopped
4 oz. tomato paste
8 oz. frozen cheese tortellini ((or more...I may have used about 2 cups)
1 - 3 cups water, depending on soup-like preference
2 zucchinis, diced
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat.
Add carrots, onion, celery, garlic and basil and cook until onion is soft (about 5 minutes) You can throw in some salt and pepper here, too.
Add broth, tomatoes and tomato paste and bring to boil. Add extra water.
Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add tortellini and zucchini and simmer until tortellini are tender, about 10 minutes (they float to the top, too)

The original recipe calls for chickpeas, but I didn't have any so I passed. I do love chickpeas, though, and would try it next time with them for sure.

Yummy.



No comments:

Post a Comment