18 January 2011

'nana bread

Last night, i made the BEST banana bread EVER. I mean, the best. I've never made 'nana bread before by myself, but i've eaten a lot of it. and this was my favorite.

My yoga teacher Jocelyn is having a baby (yayay) and I wanted to bake something for her and the baby love and her hubs, Charles. Charles plays in the Atlanta Symphony and gave us free tickets to see them play last friday. As always, it was lovely.


Makes me miss my little violin, George, so I'm going to bring him out sometime soon to play (yes, we named our violins in 6th grade after Seinfeld characters).

Anyhow, I doubled the recipe so that we could have a loaf here at home. I knew it would only last one day, but did so regardless. It worked out perfect that the baby wanted banana bread, because I just happened to have 8 very overripe bananas waiting for something to be done with them...


This recipe i found via TasteSpotting, my current and very severe obsession.

I used my favorite whole wheat flour...


and added all the ingredients, which you only need to mix with a spoon, you don't even need a blender! And voila: 'nana bread batter...


I baked it (patiently...) in my new non-stick loaf pan, and done. Naturally, I felt like I should taste this first round to make sure it is good and then, I figured, I can give away the second loaf as the gift. Right? Well yeah, I taste it and it's awesome and I eat three slices. I throw the second loaf in and I know it will be just as great.

And then I forget that it is in the oven. And it burns. BURNS. Burnt banana gift bread. Seriously, it's not even worth discussing how upset I was.

So what, do i give a 1/4 eaten loaf as a gift?? Looks like im going to slice it up and give her 'nana bread slices tonight.

LAME.
I will succeed 100% next time.
Looks like I need to go buy some more rotten bananas asap.


Yummy (and lactose-free) Banana Bread

3-4 very ripe bananas
¾ cup brown sugar, packed
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1½ cups whole wheat flour
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ teaspoon powdered ginger
¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
½ cup toasted sliced almonds

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

In a medium bowl, mash bananas. Add all other ingredients and mix well with a wooden spoon. Pour batter into an oiled and lightly floured loaf pan. Bake 1 hour.





No comments:

Post a Comment