21 January 2011

my inaugural post: sweet potato hash!

Well, here we are.

This tasty little project seems like it's been a long time coming and I'm very, very excited about it! What a fun way to document my culinary adventures, musings, mishaps, etc.

While trying to figure out which recipe to post here first, I asked my husband Stephen which recipes of mine he thought were my best and worth documenting. This one wasn't on his list (he would). Stephen...how should I say this?...Doesn't share my deep, abiding love for the delicious, nutritious sweet potato. However, I can tell you honestly that every time I tell him I'm going to make this, he groans. And then every time he starts eating it, he gobbles it up and thanks me profusely. And then he buys me some diamonds because he feels so indebted to me for making such a healthy, delicious meal. Just kidding. He buys me cast iron.

Anymahoo- This is my tried and true sweet potato hash recipe. I hope you enjoy!

(I don't have pictures of the process, but I assure you it's easy and I've learned my lesson: the more pictures, the better. I promise I'll get better at this!)

Here's what you'll need for 2 sizable portions + some leftovers:

Sweet Potato Hash

2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed into 1/4 inch pieces
1/2 small to medium red onion, diced
1/2 small to medium red bell pepper, diced
1/2 of a bunch of kale, roughly chopped (or as much as you'd like, really)
1 can of black beans, drained
2-3 tbsp unsalted butter
1-2 tbsp olive oil
2 large eggs (or for however many people you are making this for)
1 Chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, finely chopped (optional)
cilantro (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

1. Heat olive oil and butter in a non-stick pan over medium heat. The butter will give sweet potatoes the best flavor and the oil helps it not burn... isn't it nice when things work together? Add the sweet potatoes and saute on medium, watching and occasionally stirring, for about 15 minutes. You want them to get a little brown, cook almost all the way and not lose their shape. (If mine are being particularly stubborn and not cooking, I'll add a little bit of water- maybe a tablespoon at a time- to the hot pan and put the lid on so it steams the potatoes a little.)

2. Transfer the sweet potatoes to a plate or bowl and let them take a break for a minute. Put your nice little pan back on the heat, give it another little dash of olive oil and throw your onion and red pepper in there. Let them cook and sweat for about 5 minutes or so, then, if you're into it, add the chipotle and stir for a minute or two.

3. Turn the heat down to medium low and add the black beans and sweet potatoes back into the pan, stirring to mix all the ingredients. At this point, I'd check for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.

4. Add the chopped kale and put the lid on so the kale can wilt. You're not really cooking it in there, just letting get a little bit soft and mesh with everything else in the pan. Keep the heat on low and make sure the black beans and sweet potatoes aren't getting too mushy with each other....

ooooooh.

5. Meanwhile, in another little pan that you've greased because you're about to fry an egg and don't want it to stick, drizzle just a little olive oil and heat over medium heat. Once the pan is nice and hot, crack your egg right into the pan. I like mine to get slightly brown on the bottom, I like the texture of the fried white and the still very gooey yolk. So, if you like it crispy like I do, give it a minute or two, but keep an eye on it. It'll pop and bubble a little and once the bottom is nice and brown, I'll give it a quick turn over (gently but quickly), just to give the other side a nice sear. But you don't want to cook the yolk, so make it quick!

6. If you're into cilantro, now's the time to turn the heat off the sweet potatoes and toss a little cilantro in the mix. By now your kale has wilted a little, all your flavors have meshed together and you're ready to plate your hash and your friend egg!

beautiful!

This is truly a beautiful meal to make. It's easy, it's really tasty and it's a great vegetarian meal that will please meat eaters. Trust me, it's hearty and you won't miss the meat in here. Enjoy! Bon appetit!

Until next time...
-Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment