26 January 2011

National Pie Day!

From our family to yours, happy belated national pie day.

Stephen just asked me, "Is this something the White House declares?"

Probably not, Stephen. Probably not. I Googled it and didn't really find anything official looking that offered an kind of satisfactory answer. Sounds like someone just made National Pie Day up. I don't know. Why are we complaining? Why are we asking questions? It's national pie day! It's an excuse to bake a pie! Come on!

So, can you guess what I did? Can you? Can you? I baked a succulent (succulent works for desserts right? I feel like meats have a monopoly on the adjective succulent) chocolate chip cookie pie that I'd been drooling over every time I visited Bakerella.

It was so buttery and rich that it didn't even matter that I cheated and used a frozen pie crust that I had stored away in the freezer... Which is something I almost never do. Homemade pie crust (see: here) is crazy easy and crazy delicious. And you'll almost never go back to the frozen stuff. Except when you're conveniently out of the real stuff. And when you do, you'll feel it deep down in your conscience.

I will say this about this delicious pie: It didn't taste like a big, warm chocolate chip cookie like I wanted it to. Although, if you're a seasoned baker (teehee, no pun intended), you would have noticed just by looking at the recipe that it is NOT a chocolate chip cookie recipe. It was more like a blondie with chocolate chips or something like that (we grew up calling them Congo Bars). It was still uber delicious. I just feel like it should come with a disclaimer. Anywho- here it goes!

*Oh. Right. Please forgive me. I couldn't find the nice camera, so I used my iPhone...

Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie

1 unbaked 9-inch (4-cup volume) deep-dish pie shell completely thawed
2 large eggs
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup (6 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate morsels
1 cup chopped pecans*
Serve with ice cream (optional)

1. Preheat oven 325 degrees F.

2. Beat eggs in large mixer bowl on high until foamy.

...goodness, look at that stellar iPhone photography.

3. Beat in flour, granulated sugar and brown sugar. Beat in butter.
4. Stir in morsels and nuts and spoon into pie shell.
5. Bake for 55-60 minutes. Cool on wire rack. Serve warm.


ignore my un-ladylike reflection.
and the fact that I'm wearing Stephen's old soccer shorts.
thank you.



...Seriously. It doesn't get easier than this. *Now, of course, being allergic to every nut on the planet, I left those out. And it was still really yummy.


Until next time.
-Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment