26 January 2011

too much of a good thing?

I...love sweet potatoes.

I could eat them every day (I almost do). And it's a really good thing because they are super awesomely fantasticly good for you. An almost-perfect food, I would say (I think kale is considered one of the only"virtually perfect" foods for you, so that is also good because I am obsessed with kale, too).

Thanks to Amanda below for the Sweet Potato Hash recipe. I tweaked it a bit, and it was still wonderful. Here is what I did different:

1. I used about 5 sweet potatoes & two cans of black beans
2. I didn't have chiles in adobo so I threw about 2 tbsp. (or more...) or chili powder in while the onion and pepper were cooking.
3. I drizzled about 1.5 tbsp. agave on the sweet potatoes & mixed before I added them to the onion/pepper/kale.
4. Along with some salt sprinkles, I added about 2 tbsp. brown sugar to the whole dish, mixed it in, covered and let it cook a bit longer.

I like the brown sugar with chili powder & agave (or honey). Gives a nice but subtle sweet & spicy flavor.

YUM


Don't be alarmed if everything turns a little brown after a few hours...! It's those silly black beans.
I ate about 1 lb. of this today for lunch. I'm wondering if I can eat too many sweet potatoes at once? Probably. Which is okay. I am willing to make that mistake.

I think one way to think about food is this: the more colors you eat, the better. This isn't a rainbow, but it is pretty darn colorful. And just so yummy.

You can serve by itself, with rice, with a fried egg (Amanda's recipe below), and so on.


Enjoy!

Adina :)

No comments:

Post a Comment